People with Fibromyalgia often have trouble controlling their body temperature. In the winter, most people get cold and warm back up when they come inside. When we get cold, we stay cold for hours. Because of this, we love anything that helps us warm up or stay warm in the first place.
- Warm socks help us stay warm during the day or at the beginning of the night in a cool bed.
- Our hands ache all day once they get cold for a few minutes, so warm gloves or hand warmers are always nice.
- Scarves or hats help protect us when we have to go outside.
- Giving your friend a warm sweater or a shirt that can be layered is a nice gift.
- We love pajamas or slippers that we can relax in once we get home.
- It is wonderful to get a space heater for work when you can't change the thermostat.
- It is also nice to have a thermos of warm soup or hot chocolate for lunch.
- We also love throw blankets because we get cold, but everyone else is fine.
Warm baths help ease our aching muscles and help us warm up. We love bath time, so any presents to make that time of the day even better are wonderful.
- Try a big fluffy towel or a soft robe.
- Some people like scented candles, bubble baths, and bath salts. A lot of people with Fibromyalgia have chemical sensitivities and get sick with chemicals that smell. Check with the person you are buying for or get the unscented variety.
- A cd of soft music is always nice.
Anything that can ease our pain is appreciated.
- We love herbal packs that can be heated in the microwave or frozen as ice packs.
- Aspercreme is nice. It works well and doesn't have the smell or burning sensation of other topical treatments.
- We have found that music helps ease our pain, so a CD, I-Tunes card, I-Pod, stereo, etc. is always a fabulous gift. On our worst days, we listen to music for hours.
Winter is a difficult time of year for us, so we have to spend a lot of time in bed or on the couch. Anything that can help make this time more enjoyable is a wonderful gift.
- Try a movie that your friend will enjoy. We love comedies because we don't get to laugh as much as we used to.
- Puzzle books are great ideas if your friend doesn't suffer from brain fog.
- Books are always nice. If your friend has trouble concentrating, audio books are a way to enjoy the book without the cognitive struggle of reading.
- Materials for a hobby are always wonderful gifts, as well.
Since winter is a rough time for us, a gift offering your time or help will be appreciated.
- You can offer to shovel snow or drive them somewhere they need to go.
- If your friend struggles with the shopping or laundry or cooking, offer to do it for them for a day.
- Go over and help them clean their house or decorate for the holidays.
- If your friend can't go out, offer to come over and visit for awhile.